Tuesday, September 8, 2009

ACCEPTABLE/UNACCEPTABLE BIBLE VERSIONS

While one of the details I include in my market guide is which Bible version or versions a publiher prefers the author to use, I didn't realize that a publisher would also list some versions as "unacceptable." It recently came to my attention that Focus on the Family (in recommending or not recommending certain books)has a list of Bible translations which "red flag" books- and a list of acceptable translations. Selecting an "acceptable" translation will keep that red flag off your book.

Versions not acceptable to Focus on the Family (these versions are gender neutral)
TNIV
NLT
NRSV
NCV
CEV
GW
NIVI

Here are the versions Focus can work with:
NLV
KJV
NKJV
NIV
NIrV
RSV
HCSB
AMP
ESV
NASB

2 comments:

Fliterary said...

I had never considered translations being a problem with a book's publications. Thank you for the information.

Linda Harris said...

I encountered this when writing an article for Clubhouse Magazine. I also encountered their "orthodoxy committee," which questioned one of my theological points about heaven. It turned out I didn't have to change much, but it slowed things down.