Thursday, December 20, 2007

TATE PUBLISHING

I don't think there is a publisher I get more questions/concerns about than Tate Publishing. In the past they have been listed as a royalty publisher that does 4% of their books on subsidy deals. However, for the 2008 edition I have moved them to the subsidy section, because it appears they do the majority of their book asking the author to pay $3,985.50 on signing. They are what I call a co-op publisher. They indicate that they pay the cost of production and the author's payment covers the cost of promotion. But I also get complaints that they do not do the promotion they promise. My biggest concern came up recently when an author I had reviewed their contract for came back to tell me that they refuse to negotiate any of the terms of the contract. That alone would keep me from dealing with this company.

No comments: